Chocolate chip cookies are a perennial favourite and dark double chocolate cookies are even more well received. I make up a batch of these when I want to make the chocolate lovers in my life happy. Feel free to substitute whatever nuts you like, I happened to have pecans around. I can imagine it with dried fruit too, like orange peel. Try to serve it fresh from the oven if you can. The chocolate oozes in a lovely way.
120g cocoa powder
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
120g dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
300g dark chocolate, chopped
200g pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 170ºC. Line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the salt. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars till fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat again.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate and nuts.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of dough onto the baking tray, spacing about two inches apart. Try to make the dough balls as small as possible. I fit about20 onto each tray.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, taking care not to let the cookies burn. It’s a dark cookie as it is, so you have to watch carefully.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool and eat as soon as you can touch them without burning yourself. Otherwise, wait till cool and pack in airtight containers and give away.
Makes loads, at least 160 or so.
how does one get on the list of ‘chocolate lovers in your life’???
LOL, what a big hint 😉